Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11-remembering

In the 20th century, we remembered where we were when Pearl Harbor was bombed, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, or the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King was murdered.

For the 21st century, we remember where we were when the new millennium began and when hijacked jets brought the World Trade Center towers down and killed hundreds at the Pentagon. I was in Tacoma for my first New Year's Day in 2000 and I was on my way to work when my feet froze in place, keys in hand, as I watching television news - live - in horror. On my way to work, cars of service men and women were lined up for miles at the entry gates for McChord Air Force Base and Fort Lewis.

I was numb and sad all day. At lunchtime, I visited the Sesame Street website for a break away from the news that inevitably surrounds those of us who work in communications for a state health department. Because our state is a border state and has at least one highly visible landmark - the Seattle Space Needle - we were on high alert.

This morning I remembered and cried like I have every September 11th. At sunset, I lit two candles in memory of the two towers and the two cities - New York City and Washington DC - that are forever changed.

I will never forget.

Dona nobis pacem.

No comments:

Post a Comment