Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hummingbird ballet


Ballet? Tonight the hummingbirds were more like bomber pilots. Flash chased off another male Anna's and a male rufous.

Although I haven't seen any female hummingbirds at the feeders, I did see two female rufous hummers on the other side of a large red current thicket at the Nisqually refuge yesterday. I quietly moved to their side of the thicket but they were gone.

Meanwhile high above the ridge, eight juvenile and adult bald eagles practiced air dancing tonight. I was so fascinated that I forgot about the hummingbirds, which they were probably happy about. The eagles were too far away and it was too dark to capture any worthwhile images. So I watched, listening to the frogs on the ground and eagles ch-ch-cheer messages to each other.

Hummingbird Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment