Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Keeping watch

Keeping Watch
In the morning
When I began to wake,
It happened again

That feeling
That you, Beloved,  
Had stood over me all night
Keeping watch,

That feeling That as soon as I began to stir
You put Your lips on my forehead 

And lit a Holy lamp 
Inside my heart. 

Hāfez was a 14th century Persian lyric poet and Sufi mystic. Honoring his poetry about keeping watch somehow fits my favorite eagle pair. They are so very devoted to one another, especially as they begin a new nesting season. They, too, are mystical while at the same time quite predictable.

As we round the corner where their aerie is tucked just out of sight, papa eagle patiently watches from a favorite snag on one side of the nest. From a distance, he looks like a giant pinecone capped with snow.

Mama must be carefully tending their eggs. Last year, we started seeing her at the end of April and "junior" a few weeks later. 

So now we keep watch, with occasional trips to the delta to sustain the Beloved.

Returning to keep watch from the other side. 

I'm gradually adding new images to my Talons Gallery. Let me know if you have favorites from past blog posts.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment