Sunday, February 19, 2012

Raptors up close

Peregrine falcon
I splurged part of my tax refund on a 400mm zoom and have been itching to try it out for the past week. With a break in the rain, I headed for the Nisqually wildlife refuge this morning. Low tide was at 10:30 a.m., so I figured there would be lots of activity. There wasn't so I think I will stay with my usual visiting time of late afternoon. The few birds I did see were quite far away, so a good test of the new lens.

I misidentified the peregrine as a Cooper's hawk but thought it might be a peregrine because he was so high in the tree. And I always think northern harriers are red-tailed hawks, until I compare my photos with my bird books at home (too heavy to take along).

Northern harrier
Northern harrier close up
Juvenile bald eagle far in the distance

No comments:

Post a Comment