Monday, July 18, 2011

Humming about flowers


I managed to get the windows cleaned just in time for the annual crocosmia opening. I don't remember ever seeing crocosmia (sometimes called Lucifer's tongue) growing up on the East Coast. It's a relative of the iris, native to South Africa, and loves the Pacific Northwest. And the rufous and Anna's hummingbirds love crocosmia.

I started seeing this female rufous, who has clearly claimed ownership of the entire side of the house where most of the crocosmia bloom. I have also seen her at the flower baskets on the front porch, where she chases away another female rufous.

The hummers visit flowers most frequently mid-morning to early afternoon. Then they hit the feeders to tank up at dusk which, right now, is about 9 p.m.

Visit my Hummer gallery for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment