Monday, July 5, 2010

July 4th-get up close


This is the first time in a very long time that I wasn't actually working on July 4th. I took the dog for a walk in the woods before the boomers started (fireworks are allowed for three days over July 4th weekend) and found a few close-up opportunities.

The first is a common wildflower called "candy flower" or "Siberian miner's lettuce" (Claytonia sibirica). My favorite lens is a 28-105 zoom that also has a macro feature. The macro sometimes sticks, which is probably why Nikon doesn't make this lens anymore...or at least I haven't found it. I bought this one about 20 years ago. I photographed this image at 640 ISO at 75mm with a fill flash. Here is the full frame.

When I pulled it into first Adobe Lightroom, and then Adobe Photoshop to edit, I decided to crop tight to the leaves and flowers. I corrected the color balance but a bit too far to the warm end of the color spectrum Then I spotted a dewdrop that I didn't see when I photographed the flower. I corrected the color balance again and sharpened the image a bit more. The graininess comes from shooting at a higher ISO in low light.

Later in the walk, I spotted some insects on a blackberry blossom. This time I used the macro feature on the lens at available light, but still at 640 ISO.

No comments:

Post a Comment