Saturday, July 17, 2010

July 16 photo of the day

I have been visiting Sequim on the northern edge of the Olympic Peninsula almost every year since moving to Washington in 2000. Even though the western portion of the peninsula is one of the rainiest spots on earth (Hoh Rain Forest gets 140-170 inches each year), the north is in what is called a "rain shadow" along with nearby San Juan Islands. That makes for a prime environment for lavender growing, like Provence, France, with less than 20 inches of rain a year. During the Sequim Lavender Festival in mid-July, many of the farms are open for tours, cutting lavender, and enjoying. Even though I have a few lavender plants in my garden, sitting in the middle of a field is - in a word - heavenly. Sequim's lavender farmers even station lavender-painted chairs and benches throughout their fields for that reason. These are my favorites from this year's experience. There are a few more posted on Facebook (you don't have to be a member to view them). Later this weekend, I'll get them posted to my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment