Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Eagle babies getting bigger



Ariel and I have visited our favorite eagle's nest about three times a week for the past month. I haven't posted in awhile because the view has been pretty much the same: mama or papa eagle standing sentry, and babies mostly out of site. I get an occasional glimpse of a downy head and, now, a really large wing stretch or two. In just three weeks, these babies have grown formidable beaks and impressive wings.

 Until this week, one or both parents was always present, sometimes greeting a kid from an earlier clutch with a bit of warning to not get too close. Now that babies have those big sharp beaks and can feed themselves, they're alone for a few minutes at a time. Eagles have an endearing (to me, anyway) chortling call that they use with kin. Others get a shreak - think screaming eagle. Yup. It's loud. All of the neighbors attest to that!

At the same time, everyone I've talked to who lives on the street near the nest tells me that we're blessed to have this special family in our midst.

Amen to that.

The only spot I can see the babies in the nest is about a block away. That's why they look kind of rough around the edges. Here's the tree, followed by tightly cropped images of the kids.

Please let me know if you have favorites. I'm getting ready to print some new images for art festivals I'm doing in July and September. More from past years in my Talons Gallery.





No comments:

Post a Comment