Saturday, August 27, 2011

Visitors to the Birdie Spa

Earlier in the week, a native Douglas squirrel was picking up sunflower seeds under the birdie spa tree. Usually they are pretty shy when I encounter them in the woods but she must've been pretty hungry. She hopped into the tree when I approached but hopped right back down as soon as I walked past. She was gone by the time I got into the house.


She was back this morning and stuck around for quite awhile until a neighbor's cat came by. She protested LOUDLY. I yelled bad kitty and ran outside to chase the cat I recognized had picked off the baby goldfinch I tried to rescue a couple of months ago.

I'm pretty sure the squirrel got away. There are lots of goldfinch youngsters visiting the spa, with an occasional sparrow, house finch, and chickadee. I counted 20 on the lawn at the same time. They would fly off en mass whenever a car or walker came by.

I have seen female rufous hummingbirds and both male and female Anna's at my feeders and the flower baskets on the front porch. No male rufous though. I didn't think they headed south this early but I know they usually show up first in March and leave first, usually in September.

My current exhibit at 253 Collective - For the Birds & the Trees - will be open for another couple of weeks. I hope you'll stop by and check it out if you live in western Washington. The gallery is open Fridays and Saturdays, noon to 5 p.m. or email me (wordandpicture@gmail.com) and I'll meet you at the gallery. 

Female rufous hummingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment